Mountain gorillas in Uganda are herbivorous predominantly ground-dwelling great apes that in habitat the tropical forest of equatorial Africa and they are under family Hominidae kingdom Animalia phylum chordate class Mammalia order primates Genus Gorilla.
Mountain gorillas are some of the most powerful and striking animal is not only for their gentle human like behavior and are types of gorillas like western lowland gorilla and cross river gorilla Gorillas are divided into two species -The western gorilla and the eastern gorilla
Gorillas in Uganda mainly found in Bwindi impenetrable forest national park
Mountain gorillas in Uganda
What are gorillas?
- Mountain gorillas are powerfully built great ape with a large head and short neck found in the forest of central Africa. And it is the largest living primate.
- The mountain Gorilla is one of the two subspecies of the eastern gorilla.
- Mountain Gorillas have a thicker fur and more of it compared to other great apes. And that fur help to survive in the habitat where temperatures often drop below freezing
- The common name mountain gorillas and the scientific Name Gorilla beringei beringei
- Some of the facts about mountain gorillas Are; They live in two isolated groups they are found in high altitude mountain and bamboo forest which are surrounded by agriculture and settlements.
- They can eat all day long mountain gorillas spend about a quarter of their day eating mainly plants.
- They cozy up at night mountain gorillas’ groups sleep together in the nest on the ground or in the tress
Is a wild life that involves hiking through dense forest in search of wild gorillas?
What is gorilla trekking in Uganda?
Is defined as a hike to the tropical forest of Africa to see the mountain gorillas in their natural habitat.
How long do gorilla trekking last?
A gorilla trek usually lasts from 1 to 8 hours the 1 hour spent with them and the return journey back to the briefing point
What to expect on a when trekking Mountain gorillas in Uganda?
- Expect muddy; slippery; and wet grounds in the rainy season and early mornings.
- This is a magical hour of interacting with the gorilla family.
- Trekkers are required to keep a low tone as they accurately take photographs not forgetting to avoid a direct look in the eyes of the gorillas
- Gorillas normally walk on all four legs but are capable of walking upright when needed for short period of time,
- What to were when u want to see gorillas
- Dress in brown green and greys and wear trousers and long –sleeved shirt.
How do you show respect to the gorillas?
One of the best ways to show respect for gorillas is to avoid making direct eye contact in this wild gorilla use eye contact to assert dominance and challenge other members of their group.
If a human were to make direct eye contact with a gorilla it could be interpreted as a sign of aggression.
What to do if a gorilla sees you?
If a gorilla see you u have to stay still and let him pass by and if u happen to stand were a gorilla wants to be just give him space and he him move as he likes if a gorilla approaches you and sits down you should slowly move away to resume the seven distance
A group of gorillas or a family of gorillas is called a troop
A troop of gorillas is usually made up of one dominate adult male or silver back
Gorillas live in family groups of usually five to 10 but sometimes two to more than 50 led by dominant adult male or silverback who holds his position for years.
Gorilla habituation is the process of gently introducing wild mountain Gorillas to the sight and presence of human for research care and conservation purpose
Gorilla habituation is the process of training mountain Gorillas to live closer to people as they continue with their day to day lives. Gorilla habituation process takes place in Bwindi impenetrable national park too.
The gorilla habituation experience is very amazing since one gets to spend more time with the gorillas compared to the one hour of gorilla trekking.
Gorilla habituation is only done in Uganda in Rushaga and it can be accessed not only to Uganda but you can as well access it from Rwanda taking 4 hour drive.